Love them or hate them WordPress page builders are increasing in popularity.
Due in part because of increased demand from WordPress users who want more flexibility and control of their own websites. And also down to increased competition from platforms such as Squarespace, that are built solely on a live visual editor.
If you want to build your website (on WordPress) without relying on a developer, then a drag & drop page builder is a must.
Drag & Drop Page Builders: What You Need to Know
Before you jump head first into purchasing a brand new page builder, you will likely have a few burning questions running around your head.
Which are the most recommended? I want to use the Genesis framework [or alternative framework or theme] can I still use a drag & drop page builder? Or will they negatively impact my website speed?
Not to mention the fact that many developers are VERY critical of most page builders. However some page builder pass the test, but which are they and why?
In this guide I will help you understand the breadth of page builders available to you as a website owner, introduce you to the very best reviews, comparisons and case studies.
Whilst also helping you get started building your new website or blog with several kick-ass tutorials and guides.
I hope you enjoy it!
Don’t have time to read the whole guide right now?
No worries. Let me send you a copy so you can read it when it’s convenient for you. Just let me know where to send it:
The Ultimate List of the Internet’s Best WordPress Page Builder Resources
From reviews to examples and tutorials, this guide has you covered.
- Free WordPress Page Builders
- Paid WordPress Page Builders
- How to Choose
- Getting Started Guide
- Advanced Guides
- WordPress Page Builder Frameworks
Note: These page builders are not to be confused with landing page builders or other list building plugins.
The Best Free WordPress Page Builders
If you’re new to WordPress – or have a limited budget – these resources will help you understand exactly what’s available from a free website page builder. These products include more established products such as SiteOrigin to some of the newer drag & drop page builders like Elementor.
- SiteOrigin Page Builder
- Beaver Builder
- Elementor Live Page Builder for WordPress
- Upfront – The WordPress Theme That Gives You Super Powers
- WR Page Builder
- Aqua Page Builder
- Live Composer Free WordPress Page Builder
- Page Builder Sandwhich
- Pootle Page Builder
The Top 11 Paid WordPress Page Builders
Whilst some of the free page builders might be enough to get you started. You may soon want greater flexibility and range of features that you only get with a premium solution. The following premium WordPress plugins represent some of the most recommended and most commonly used premium page builders.
- Beaver Builder
- Brix a Brand New WordPress Page Builder
- Elementor Pro
- Visual WordPress Page Builder
- Themify Premium WordPress themes
- Thrive Content Builder Visual Editor for WordPress
- Velocity Page
- Visual Composer WordPress Page Builder Plugin
How to Choose the Right WordPress Page Builder for You
Now you’ve got a better idea of the breadth of tools that are available to you. You’ll help help choosing the right tool for your specific need. You’ll learn about the types of page builder available to you and how they can potentially impact page speed and SEO. As well as the advantages and disadvantages of using a page builder versus working directly with a web developer.
- Choosing a WordPress Drag and Drop Page Builder
- The Pros and Cons of WordPress Page Builders
- Pros and Cons of WP Page Builder Plugins
- A Drag and Drop WordPress Page Builder – Good or Bad?
- Are Drag and Drop WordPress Page Builders the Future?
- Why Customers Want WordPress Page Builders
The Most In-depth (unbiased) WordPress Page Builder Reviews
You’ll find a LOT of reviews on the page builders I’ve covered in this guide. However the following reviews represent some of the most unbiased and in-depth reviews on some of the most popular WordPress page builders, including one from a developer perspective.
- WordPress Page Builder Plugins: a Critical Review
- If you use the Divi theme with WordPress, it better be forever
- Divi Builder Review: A Brand New Drag-&-Drop Page Builder Plugin by Elegant Themes
- Beaver Builder Review from a Developer’s Perspective
- Beaver Builder Review: The Best Content Builder Around? Truth or Hype?
- Site Origin Review
- MotoPress Review: Reimagining The Default WordPress Content Editor
Comparisons of Some of the Most Popular Page Builders
Every page builder is different – in many ways. From the way their drag & drop builders work to the features they offer to how they output code in your CMS. And so it is difficult comparing apples to apples. These resources compiled by leading WordPress experts go a long way to comparing some of the most important features users look for in a website page builder.
- 5 Best Drag and Drop WordPress Page Builders Compared (2017)
- Comparing Drag & Drop WordPress Page Builders
- The 8 Best Drag and Drop Page Builder Plugins for WordPress
- The Eight Best Drag-&-Drop WordPress Page Builder Plugins – Compared
- 10 Fantastic Drag and Drop Page Builders for WordPress Worth Checking Out
- The 20 Best Drag and Drop Page Builder WordPress Plugins
Examples of Websites Built With Your Favourite Page Builders for Your Inspiration
If this guide has served you well so far, you will hopefully be closer to making a purchase decision – if you haven’t made one already. The following resources will serve as inspiration before you dive in and begin designing your new website.
- Elegant Themes Customer Showcase
- Sites Built with Headway
- Themify Showcase
- Elementor Examples
- 75+ Stunning Examples of Elegant Themes’ Divi WordPress Theme in Action
- 25 Stunning Divi Sites to Feed Your Inspiration
Note: I have struggled to find some genuinely good examples of websites built with all of the page builders mentioned in this article. As I find them (maybe I’ll create my own) I will update this list.
Getting Started Guides
All of the page builders (at least mentioned here) have a good knowledge base of documentation to help get you started. I made the decision to not include those resources here because you will be sent those resources once you purchase. The following resources are a combination of websites and blog posts designed to help get you started.
- 10 Must-Read Divi Tutorials From 2016
- How to Style Your Divi Blog Page to Look Like Elegant Themes New Design
- Beyond Beaver Blog
- Pro Beaver Builder Plugin Tutorials
- Getting Started with Beaver Builder
- Home Of The Original Divi Tutorials
- Home of the Divi Kitchen Tutorials, Tips & Tricks for Divi Enthusiasts
- A Stupidly Simple Beginners Guide t Creating a Professional Website Step by Step With WordPress
- WordPress Page Builder Plugin – Create Pages Using Drag and Drop
- Design with Elementor – Page Builder for WordPress
Advanced Guides: How to Get More Out of Your Chosen Page Builder
Moving beyond the basics and you’ll want to understand how to get more out of your chosen WordPress page builder. Whether it’s to create a dedicated landing page, customise your header (or footer) or customise your blog. These resources have you covered.
- How to Create Custom WordPress Layouts with Beaver Builder
- Ultimate Visual Composer Drag & Drop Page Builder Guide For WordPress
- How to Create a Responsive Homepage With GeneratePress WordPress Theme & Elementor
- Create a footer with Beaver Builder that you can easily edit using Beaver Builder
- Set up a Blog with Beaver Builder the right way without using modules
WordPress Page builder Frameworks and Themes
Not surprisingly with the popularity of these WordPress page builder increasing. We’re starting to see a number of different themes and frameworks to help extend the functionality of these page builders even further. These are themes that have been specifically created for WordPress page builders. It’s a relatively small list now, but I am expecting this to change. When it does I will update the post.
Note: Both Astra Theme and Ocean WP are exceptional themes, offering free and paid versions, are incredibly fast (Astra noticeably so) and boast a ton of valuable features.
Download a free PDF version of this WordPress page builder guide…
Contains a bonus chapter: The Top 3 WordPress Drag & Drop Page Builders Most Recommended by WordPress Experts and Devs.